top of page

Injuries to Children

Your child has just been in an accident.

What do we do now?


FIRST, if the child shows any signs of injury, immediately go to the nearest hospital Emergency Room or Acute Care Clinic.


  • The child may be injured far more seriously than is apparent. If the child received a blow to the head, ask that s/he be seen by a specialist immediately.

  • Many children, especially young ones, are poor historians of what happened to them.

  • Untreated injuries sometimes get worse.

SECOND, closely observe your child over the next 24 hours or so.


  • Because if the child is unable to describe his/her injuries the doctor may miss something serious.

  • As a parent, you know your child better than anyone else. You are in the best position to notice if anything is wrong.

  • Be alert to symptoms such as unusual drowsiness, blurry vision, unfocused eyes, abnormal speech patterns, etc. These may be signs of a Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)

  • If any of these symptoms are observed, take your child back to the hospital emergency room immediately.

THIRD, photograph your child's injuries.


  • Most injuries heal rapidly with proper medical care. It is important to record your child's condition near the time of injury.

Fourth, contact an attorney immediately to have your case reviewed.


  • It will be important to document exactly what happened, where, why, and how.

  • Witnesses disappear and memories become hazy over time.

  • Accident locations can change over time (e.g., stop signs erected, intersection crosswalks repainted, vegetation removed, etc.)

But I don’t have any money to hire an attorney. What can I do?

Answer: We will evaluate your case with no charge to you. If we believe we can help you, we will represent you on a contingent fee basis. A contingent fee is one where we will charge you a percentage of what we recover for you, ONLY IF AND WHEN WE ARE SUCCESSFUL.

Do insurance companies and courts treat injuries to children differently than those involving adults?

Answer: Yes.

  • In Washington, very young children are legally incapable of comparative fault. This means the child cannot be blamed for his or her negligence.

  • All settlements involving injuries to minor children must be approved by the court. This requirement is in place to protect the rights of the child. Your attorney can explain this procedure in detail.

But I don't want to sue anyone. Can I still make a claim on behalf of my child?

Answer: Yes. Most cases can be settled without a trial.

We have helped many families through the often confusing aftermath of an injury to a child. We know the law. We know how to get your medical bills paid. We know how to prove the monetary value of your other losses, such as scarring, disfigurement, pain and suffering, etc.


Call us today at (425) 451-8333 to speak with our Bellevue, WA child injury attorney. Our lawyer will go over your case in detail with you to come up with a defense strategy.

© 2018 by William J. Carlson, Inc., P.S. All rights reserved.

bottom of page